Made in the USA: A Case Study, Part 2 of 2 except CUSTOM VELCRO PATCHES | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
diegoliottz Jun 4 '21

Reviewing the cap production and also embroidery procedures of Texas-based American Made Cap Co

. In the March 2013 issue of Impressions (" Made in the USA: A Case Study, Part 1 of 2"), I covered a set of close friends, Greg Bednarik and also Rickey Eavenson, who determined to support their regional west Texas economy by purchasing American Made Cap Co., a battling cap supplier that had actually gone through a number of adjustments in ownership throughout the past 3 years, with several employees standing firm through the company's turbulent times.

With the new CUSTOM VELCRO PATCHES business owners came new expect the firm, which I had worked with during the "gimmee-cap" boom of the 1970s. Throughout my initial go to previously this year, I identified numerous areas for renovation, however the largest difficulty continued to be discovering adequate clients willing to pay a little bit a lot more for a high-grade, American-made cap. Identifying a corresponding product the company can make or embellish to create added income was a second obstacle.

Bednarik divulged that some crucial employees modifications literally have actually altered the skin tone of their organization. At the time of my previous browse through to American Made Cap Co., brand-new Production Manager David Stutts had simply started collaborating with the firm. Stutts was experienced with production in a different industry, and was acquainting himself with the procedure of production as well as decorating headwear.

I can tell from his concerns that Stutts is a very quick study as well as, since press time, has actually acquired a firm understanding of all phases of manufacturing. One of the explorations he made is that throughout a previous proprietor's tenure, the embroidery maker string trimmers had been turned off to improve stitch output. This benefitted maker drivers, that were on a reward program. Unfamiliar with the needlework procedure and device abilities, this concern was just uncovered after the business paid hundreds of hrs of overtime to workers doing cutting tasks.

Additionally, a number of other new workers are truly making an impact. One has visuals arts skills and also display printing experience, and is being trained to offer back up to digitizer Wanda Eavenson. An additional brand-new worker is making payments in the location of infotech and likewise is being cross-trained for various other duties. Both new team members additionally act on new organization leads.

Progress at the top of the personnel chain also aided to make changes that boosted the staffing in other means. One of the lessons discovered by the ownership is that particular workers are not necessarily indispensable. It's a common concern among local business owner and also administration that whatever will certainly stop if several essential staff members leave the business. In my experience, however, this is rarely the situation. American Made Cap Co. discovered that regardless of losing a couple of employee-- including a supervisor-- that production was sustained without avoiding a beat.

NEW PROCEDURES, BUSINESS

By simply observing and making adjustments to organization practices, Eavenson as well as Bednarik have lowered their day-to-day operation expenses by $500-$ 600 each day. This has actually dramatically enhanced capital and can be attributed to a number of key modifications.

A big adjustment is structured documentation, which was accomplished by taking a close look at paper flow within the company as well as making changes that aided improve effectiveness. Management likewise put focus on credit card settlements for customers, which reduced the management prices associated with invoicing and collection.

In the brand-new business sector, four intriguing as well as substantial cap production chances have actually been presented to American Made Cap Co. from firms in Colorado, New York, California and also Texas. At press time, some brand-new accounts were still in the process of being fleshed out, but the brand-new service is providing the cash flow needed to produce a healthy organization account. One of the new accounts sends its own patterns and products to American Made Cap Co., which gives cut-and-sew plus needlework services. Keeping the needlework equipments humming adds to paying the overall overhead prices for the plant.

An additional contribution to the company's success is its association with the Go Texan program, from which it has reaped significant advantages. With association with this program, funded by the Texas Department of Agriculture, a firm's name is connected not only with American-made items, however also Texas-made products. It was a red-letter day in July when Texas Department of Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples visited the firm. He acknowledged American Made Cap Co. for its use fabric made from American Cotton Growers (based in close-by Littlefield, Texas) in the business's caps, aprons and also tote bags.

The largest and also most encouraging advancement the firm has actually experienced during the past couple of months is the addition of a corresponding line of product. The item-- lightweight, flame-resistant apparel-- is used thoroughly by firms with employees in oil and also gas fields. These firms also make use of great deals of headwear, making sales calls twice as effective.

" It's a reward that the United State government calls for employees in certain markets, consisting of seismic employees, to wear flame-resistant clothing," Bednarik states.

As part of the garments program, the firm consists of approximately 10,000 stitches of embroidery in its pricing. The firm even makes headwear from the special fabric. Stutts discovered that the staff can stitch it utilizing typical manufacturing methods, providing even more orders to keep the embroidery machines running constantly. The business also began a new site, americanfrc.com, that includes the item.

WHAT'S NEXT

Revitalized by the tremendous development the firm has made in recent months, Bednarik as well as Eavenson expect implementing prepare for additional growth. Initially, they intend to enhance its on-line visibility as well as perhaps start a line of themed caps. American Made Cap Co. still takes part in a grant program that can aid offer funds to increase its Internet presence and also advertising in general. They likewise wish to develop a program with a significant account to produce caps for inventory throughout slow-moving times.

Bednarik wishes to fill up the plant's manufacturing ability as well as begin a brand-new, improved incentive program for employees. "I would certainly rather pass more money to the staff members if I can jam this area with volume," he says.